Friday, February 18, 2011

The Avon Fashions Summer Launch


My grandmother was an Avon Lady for many years. Because of the brand, she helped my Lolo put my mother and her siblings through college during the 70's.
She got interested in makeup because of Avon, and she actually made a career out of it. My earliest memories were of her bringing me and my cousins to the Cultural Center of the Philippines, where she did the makeup of theater and concert artists in her heyday. We got to watch plays, of course! She has pictures with Lea Salonga and Pops Fernandez. 
She was a kind and cool Lola to have. She bought us clothes, made us up. I think it was from her that my mother and I got our love for all things related to fashion and beauty. My mother is actually an Avon Lady too, although she doesn't sell. She just likes the 20% discount, lol.
That being said, I grew up with Avon. The first makeup I ever got to play with was from Avon. My pre-teen bras were from Avon. It's a brand that my family's life is closely intertwined with, so I was glad when I got to attend one of their yearly launches.
Avon launched three categories: lingerie, jewelry, and accessories. The newest collections are inspired by themes: Kaleidoscope Summer (bright and bold), Tutti Frutti (flirty colors), One Love (hippie movement), Spring Fantasy (dainty and subdued), Ode To Leaves (the shades of a lush garden),Pool Party (blue and cool), Bouquet of Memories (nostalgic and timeless), Black Rose (the sophistication of the color black), and Men's Club (for the boys).
Guests were asked to shop in three rooms: the jewelry room featuring Avon's latest trinkets, accessories room holding the bags, belts, wallets, and shoes, and the lingerie room containing the brand's summer-worthy wear
Ruffa Gutierrez was the shining host of the night! Bianca Gonzales joined her as Avon's newest endorser
I have only been starstruck once before. Seeing Ruffa is the second time! She is absolutely gorgeous! Not a huge fan of her too-perfect eyebrows though
Kaleidoscope Summer. The fashion show began with bright candy bursts of color

Picture-heavy cut. See the complete coverage of the show!
Pool Party!
 
Shapemakers Plus. I love the Avon used curvy models. I'm jaded with stick-thin, bony models that I've been seeing on the runway lately. The clothes look good on them, certainly, but it's not like we all have goddess bodies! It's nice seeing fat models once in a while because you know what? Big is also beautiful.
Men's Club. Man chunk! The audience oohed when the male models appeared
Tutti Frutti
One Love. This model is the prettiest of them all. She reminds me of the ageless Tweetie de Leon
Bouquet of Memories. Enticing bridal-inspired underwear
Black Rose. Dark and dangerous! This has got to be my favorite collection
The lovely people behind Avon

No comments:

Post a Comment